Derek McInnes to remain at Aberdeen despite interest from Rangers
Derek McInnes will remain as Aberdeen boss and will not be joining Rangers, STV understands.
Along with his assistant Tony Docherty, McInnes missed training on Wednesday and Thursday as he entered talks with Aberdeen chairman Stewart Milne.
The Dons boss was Rangers’ first choice to replace Pedro Caixinha, who was sacked on October 26, but an initial approach to speak to him was rejected by Aberdeen on Tuesday evening.
As it stands McInnes will now remain in charge of Aberdeen for their Scottish Premiership clash with Dundee on Friday evening.
Rangers’ first request to speak to McInnes came after beating Aberdeen twice in back-to-back Premiership fixtures with the Ibrox side under the temporary stewardship of under-20s coach Graeme Murty.
Following the second defeat, a 2-1 loss at Pittodrie, McInnes made clear his frustration at the links with Rangers, saying the speculation had “dragged on and on”.
He had previously endorsed the comments of Milne, who had said that the manager was happy in his current role and was “going nowhere”.
Rangers chairman Dave King told his club’s AGM that candidates for the job included managers under contract at other clubs.
He later said knowledge of the UK and Scottish game was a key requirement.
That intensified talk of an approach for McInnes, who played for Rangers between 1995 and 2000.
The 46-year-old, who previously managed St Johnstone and Bristol City, has seen his stock rise since succeeding Craig Brown at Aberdeen in 2014.
He won the League Cup in 2014 and has led the Dons to the runners-up spot in the Premiership in the last three seasons.